Our hotel, The Bund Hotel, is very nice. The gentleman at the front desk and the bell boy were very helpful. We asked them tons of questions, and they were so nice. We were so exhuasted that we didn't even mind the very hard beds. We all jumped into a hot shower. Absolute heaven! The hotel staff brought up extra pillows and towels at 1 a.m. We were all very, very happy to fall onto the concrete slabs. No complaints were heard that night or the next morning.
The next morning we had our tripped planned for YiWu. YiWu is a small city in Zhejiang Province. This is where Maggie spent the first 11 months of her life. I set the alarm for 4:30 a.m. Of course, I awoke at 4:00 a.m., just happy to have had a few hours of sleep. We were all dressed and ready by 5:45 a.m. The front desk was kind enough to pack us breakfast boxes (ham and cheese sandwiches, plain yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, and apples), since we were leaving before the buffet opened. Everyone enjoyed breakfast, except for Isabella who had pop tarts.
We arrived at the train station early and made our way to the First Class Lounge where we waited for them to announce our train departure. We were the entertainment for the entire lounge. People stared openly at us for long periods of time. Staring is not considered rude in China, so the entire lounged endulged themselves. It does not bother me, but it is taking some time for the girls to get used to it. I do admit that our family is a little unusual. LOL! We are a caucasian family with an Asian daughter. This is not something the Chinese see everyday. Many people throughout the day told us in English "beautiful babies." Furthermore, Isabella received many comments because of her blond hair and green eyes. Also, several people tried to talk to Maggie in Mandarin, trying to figure out if she is Chinese. Some people will try to talk to you in Mandarin. It is a little frustrating not to be able to understand them. Most people mean very well. I told the girls just to smile and say "Ni hao!" This worked. People would say "hello" in return and smile. We took the D Train, which is very fast. It only took us two hours to get to YiWu. Our guide Derrick met us the Hangzhou stop.
When we arrived in YiWu, we took a taxi to the orphanage. We were not allowed in the orphanage due to the swine flu, but we met with the orphanage director and walked around the grounds. The director was very kind. I gave him some pictures and my email address, and he gave me his business card. Also, on the orphanage grounds is a building for the elderly. We spoke to one elderly gentlemen who spoke English. He was a middle school teacher and his daughter lives in San Francisco. He was so kind, and we really enjoyed the visit. Maggie's "finding spot" was at the orphanage gate, so we spent time there talking to the security guard that found Maggie. It was very emotional for me and Blake. For those of you who have adopted from China, I know you understand what I am speaking of. Maggie also became upset. I do not know if it was visiting the orphanage or the fact that I was upset.
We ate lunch at a restaurant in town. It was delicious! We had BBQ lamb's leg, roasted chicken with green tea leaves, a corn dish, and cokes for the girls Yum! We visited YiWu's famous wholesale market. YiWu is famous for its wholesale market. People from around the world come to YiWu to buy Chinese products. We saw many Middle Eastern people throughout the city and at the market. The market is quite impressive with many large buildings. We were all exhuasted and found a Starbucks where we hung out and enjoyed the free WiFi, while we waited for our train departure.
The train ride back to Shanghai was uneventful. We were all exhausted and just wanted a hot shower, food, and a concrete bed. LOL! I spent a lot of time people watching on the train. The Chinese are very interesting people. We had Pizza Hut delivered (an example of "survival of the fittest"). Blake ran around the corner to a convenience store for cokes. The pizza was good, but the cheese tastes a little bit different. It is 3:30 a.m. now. I am sitting at the desk in the hotel room, looking at a spectacular view of Shanghai. The skyscrapers are amazing! Shanghai is a mix of modern and traditional architecture. Right next to a skyscraper you will find a cluster of older buildings. Shops line the first floors with apartments on upper floors. Yesterday morning, we saw older women on the rooftops and balconys hanging their laundry.
Today, we will venture out in Shanghai. We have no plans--just walk the city and soak it all in. Tonight, we will jump on a sleeper train to Beijing. Please keep us in your prayers. I will post from our hotel in Beijing. We were supposed to have a cell phone delivered, but it never showed up. We cannot call like we planned. We will try to find another way to call home. I can access my Yahoo email from China, so email me if needed. Also, you can leave comments on the blog. Just click the "Comments" under each blog post. Sending love out to our family and friends. Thank you for all your prayers. God is good!
The girls first attempt at the squatty potty. Katie Beth and I are old pros. Maggie and Isabella are definitely amateurs!
As Jon Bon Jovi so eloquently asked, "Who says you can't go home?"
We feel like we are at home. Thank you to the person at Starbucks Headquarters who decided YiWu, China, needed a Starbucks! Drinks were a little bit different, but we were not complaining!







5 comments:
Man I have been stalking your blog waiting on a update. So glad I got to get one before we embark on our long journey! Thanks for the warning on the white coats, I might of freaked out!
Enjoy your trip and I will see you saturday!
Jennifer
Yeah, Kathy, you made it! I've been checking like crazy! Blessings as you count down ...
Hugs from Sooner country :)
Glad to see you made it. I've checked your blog about every 2-4 hours to see if you posted anything. Was glad to see when you did! WOW, 10 hours in San Fransico! Sounds and looks like you are having a fun trip. Can't wait to hear more.
I'm exited you made it! God is good. I hope the rest of your trip is great. YOu are not missing anything at home! I'm been thinking of you guys especially between class periods! lol!
Take care!
Ana
Kathy,
I'm so glad I found your blog! Omg
I had forgotten that you were
going back for another child!
Congrats!!! The pics you took
were amazing!! It makes me so
excited to be able to pick up
Katie. I apreciate you trying
to get the photos! I would love
to hear all about the visit to
Yiwu!!
Hugs & God Bless,
Sindy
Post a Comment