Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Turning A Corner

I really feel like we've turned a corner with Jack Henry. In the last month or so, Jack Henry is beginning to love us. He is so excited to see us when we pick him up from daycare or when we walk through the front door. He yells "Momma" or "Daddy" and runs to hug our legs. He wants us to pick him up immediately. When a family members hurts him/herself, he wants to kiss them. The hugs and kisses come more frequently without having to ask for them. Furthermore, he is much more comfortable with us and his surroundings. There is a swagger in his walk. He knows he belongs with us. In return, we love this little boy completely.

He is a member of our family. Blake, the girls, and I were all patient (for the most part) about the bonding process. I did have trouble with friends and family understanding the process. I explained it to them. I asked them not to hold him or pick him up, to give Blake and I the space and time to be able to bond. Some people did not listen or respect our wishes. This was difficult. I do believe that only parents holding the child (or limiting time with other adults) does help immensely with the bonding process.

When we adopted Maggie, the bonding process was difficult-for her and for me. I was impatient. I was frustrated. I was scared. This time around I knew it would come. I was more patient, less frustrated, less scared. This comes from having more wisdom the second time around. I learned a thing or two from our first adoption. I wish I would have limited somewhat or altogether the holding time by other adults.

Is bonding complete with Jack Henry? Absolutely not. I believe we are still working on it, but I am happy with the progress made so far. I see more and more everyday that Jack Henry trusts us. Everyday, he reveals just little more of his wonderful, adorable personality.






5 comments:

Jennifer O'Cain said...

Gosh, so many posts to catch up on. You're on a roll! I love seeing these new pictures, everyone looks so happy.

It is so great to here that things are going well with JH, I can't wait to the day I can see him again. I know he will have changed so much!

Tell your family Hi from the O'Cains

Sooner Girl said...

Yes, I have been blogging more. I feel like I am finally recovering from "having" another baby. LOL!

Gavin's Family said...

I'm so glad that the bonding is going much better this time around for you guys. I'm trying to tell people now that we will need that bonding time and we will need space.
I went back and saw that you took the whole family to China with you. How did this work out (6 in a hotel room for two weeks). My husband is pretty set that our three kids are coming, but I'm not so sure about the idea yet. Would you do it the same way again?

Sooner Girl said...

Absolutely! It was a trip of a lifetime. We went to Shanghai for two days (Maggie's orphanage is south of there) and then Beijing for two days before we even met Jack Henry. It felt like a vacation. I packed very carefully, so we didn't have many suitcases. We had our laundry done quite a bit in China. The girls. Blake, and I all had our own gadgets (itouches, PSP's, laptops, HAVA player, Nintendo DS, etc.) and that kept everyone entertained. First, I would have been absolutely homesick for the kids. On our first adoption, Isabella was only 6 months old, so Blake and she stayed home. That was horrible for me! Second, I wanted the girls to feel ownership in the adoption and welcoming Jack Henry to our family. It was costly but well worth it.

Gavin's Family said...

Thanks so much. I would be lying if I said the cost didn't scare me, I am freaking out about the price difference between just Gary and I going and eveyone going. I do know it's a once in a lifetime kind of trip. Also the kids have been praying about this from the begining.